Tuesday 22 September 2015

Why Indie gaming is great!

This is mostly a filler post. I have lots of things to write about but I have to think about the best way to go about it. So for now...



I got into gaming late, by gaming standards. I played my first game a year and a half ago, maybe a bit over. I never played Dungeons and Dragons and although I adore Cthulhu it is more for the absolute horror the GM can invoke than any strategic abilities on my part.  I can only really talk about Indie games.


I think since I started playing, gaming has changed something in me for the better. It seems a strange thing to talk about how sitting round the table changes things but for me it did:

  • You get to play pretend – obvious, but worth saying.
  • Conflict: I was incapable. I know this isn't universal by any means but I couldn't stand the thought of being disliked. Only somehow having survived the attentions of a ghoul in Monsterhearts and convincing someone in Fiasco to just put the gun down and we could talk and countless other 'encounters' – well I'm not completely cured but I'm much better at telling people to back off.
  • Lines and veils – I was hesitant to include this here but it fits. Lines and veils are the absolute no. If you have a trauma or a phobia or just don't want to play a game with a specific aspect in it then the GM and the other players better respect that. If they don't they are shitty human beings. So you learn to say no – this is enough. And for some people having that no respected without comment is life changing.
  • There is a community. At least, there is where I am which is admittedly London. But I have met and become close to some wonderful people and if there is any sort of roleplaying community in your area chances are you will too.
  • I started blogging. And then I started writing my own games.And then I started writing short stories.  And then I wrote a LARP.
  • You can experiment with aspects of yourself, self identity and aspects of situations that you don’t quite understand.
  • You can facilitate games without GMing - although as I have GMed a grand total of 2 games for people who were doing me a favour I really must get over that!
  • I lean towards playing heavier themed more immersive games, But I have also played games that have left me practically crying with laughter.
  • I can now improvise. I have also just qualified as a teacher. I have a feeling this is going to be a useful skill :)


A reminder that you can sign up to my mailing list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment