Friday 3 April 2015

On character design

This entry is about descriptions of characters and how they shape their personality. Like a lot of this blog it probably mainly applies to indie games (although feel free to tell me I'm wrong) and is something that has recently occurred to me. It might be obvious to a lot of players.


                                                                          *****

In some games, no doubt for easy character creation, you are encouraged to consider your character's appearance as briefly as possible. What types of eyes do they have? What, if any, gender are they? What's their body shape?

This is particularly great for one shot games where you don't want to spend an hour creating a character description. It's also something I've done by choice. When described Fiasco characters in the past as 'male, brown hair, brown eyes, skinny and about 34,' for example, I've often only thought of them like that, without any real definition (at least until the game starts).

I was playing a game today where we were really encouraged to get into character description. I started off with the standard description of a 17 year old woman with stringy blonde hair. And then I started thinking, why is her hair stringy. Maybe she's making a statement that she doesn't consider appearance important. (Actually in this case she'd just survived the apocalypse so it probably wasn't the top of her agenda – but imagine if it had been, end of the world and she still cared about her hair, – you'd have a whole different character).

She had a light scar on her face where she had pushed past someone when the apocalypse started to try to get to safety. So, a fighter or a panicker. (I nearly always play characters who panic.I'm sure that this says nothing about me whatsoever.)

She was wearing ripped jeans and a hoodie top – possibly clothes to make a statement, particularly as her boyfriend was wearing something similar. (That was a coincidence but an interesting one). Could it mean something for the character? The relationship?

She was also wearing an old fishing jacket of her father's. Maybe that could say something about the relationship. He wanted to protect her and she loved him (or was obedient) enough to put up with the jacket. Something to consider when playing the relationship during the game.
She also had an old scar on her arm from when she had tried and failed to give herself a tattoo two years ago. I didn't specify what of but there are a few paths that could be taken with that. Obsession with something maybe? Or self destructive tendencies? Or teenage rebellion? Or peer pressure?

And you have the beginning of a character. I'm not trying to make any deeper point with this. Certainly there are lots of ways to shape your character e.g. through stats and abilities or merits and flaws. I just found it interesting that it allowed me to go into the game with more idea of who I was playing. I will also try to remember that just because the character sheet only gives me limited options doesn't mean that I can't have a more complete picture of the character in my head.  

No comments:

Post a Comment